- From 17 June 2014, Dr. Khaled Fahmy was appointed to fill the position of Minister of Environment.
- Date of Birth: 9/11/1953.
- Ph.D., University of Economic Sciences Bruno Leuschner, Berlin, Germany, 1984.
- Diploma of Higher Studies in Public Law, Faculty of Law, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, 1977.
- Diploma of Higher Studies of Economics and Financial Sciences, Faculty of Law, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, 1976.
(The two Diplomas are equivalent to a Master’s degree in law, economics, and public finance)
- Certificate of Training, “Computers and Their Application in Decision Making”, Institute of National Planning, Cairo, Egypt.
- Bachelor of Law, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, 1974.
- January 2013 to July 2013:
Egyptian Minister of Environment .
- 2009 to 2012:
Deputy Chief of party, Egyptian Decentralization Initiative (EDI), USAID funded Project.
- 2005 to Dec 2008:
Deputy Chief of party and senior institutional specialist, Sustainable Tourism and Economic Growth in the Red Sea Governorate (LRS), component of USAID funded Livelihood and Income from the Environment Program (LIFE).
- 2004/ 2005:
Deputy Chief of party and senior policy specialist, Lead Remediation project, component of USAID funded Livelihood and Income from the Environment Program (LIFE).
National project coordinator, Creation of a Policy Advice Unit at the Ministry of Planning, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Cairo, Egypt.
- 2000 to 2004:
Deputy chief of party and senior environmental policy specialist, Monitoring, Verification, and Evaluation (MVE) Unit of the USAID funded Egyptian Environmental Policy Program (EEPP), Cairo, Egypt.
- 1996 to 2000:
Associate project manager and senior environmental economist, Danish Organization Support Program, Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA)/Danish Environmental Affairs Agency/Danish International Development Agency.
- 1995 to 1996:
Coordinator, Egyptian Pollution Abatement Project, Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA), World Bank, Egypt.
- 1987 to 1995:
Senior economist and assistant to the resident representative of the Friedrich-Ebert Stiftung (FES), Cairo, Egypt.
Senior expert, Industrial Planning Centre, Institute of National Planning, Cairo, Egypt.
- A senior policy specialist with over 25 years experience in dealing with policy and institutional issues related to economic planning, local goverance, community development and environmental management. Major fields of specialization include institutional and legal aspects of economic planning, community based environmental management, local environmental action plans, impact assessment of environmental policy reform programs, capacity enhancement and advocacy for decentralization, and participatory dialogue and planning.