Sustainable, green and environmentally friendly district.
The Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs and the Ministry of Housing, Utilities and Urban Communities Signed a cooperation protocol for the study and implementation of a pilot project for the rehabilitation of the new cities to be green, sustainable and environmentally friendly cities, the proposed action plan included many activities and environmental development projects among them:
- The preparation of a local guideline (urban - environmental) that includes standards for sustainable rehabilitation of a green city.
- Application of a pilot models for the integrated management of solid waste.
- Establishing a model for a solar cell to increase awareness of the importance of renewable energy such as solar energy.
- Rehabilitation of green spaces for the development of the third district.
- The establishment of an environmental corner as a cultural and developmental center.
- Awareness and training programs.
Awareness and training programs:
First, measure the level of environmental awareness of environmental issues through questionnaires:
- The preparation and application of a questionnaire to measure the environmental awareness among all city's population among which:
- Local environmental problems and issues.
- Ways to get information and make sure that it is correct.
- The role of social upgrading in the acquisition and development of environmental awareness.
- Identifying the most critical environmental problems that they have and what are their proposals to solve them.
- A pamphlet has been published under the title of "Recycling and Its Importance" (Ar)
- A poster has been published under the title of "Recycling Guide" (Ar)
- A public hearing session was held in Sheikh Zayed Youth Center during May 2014, to discuss the views of all concerned parties in the development of the system.
Second, the preparation of environmental training and awareness programs for different community categories:
- Application of awareness and training program starting from 15/6/2014 aiming at:
- The creation of qualified staff able to deal with environmental issues.
- Building the capacity of staff that will work on the sustainability of the project.
- Development of trainees’ awareness of modern environmental trends.
- The development of awareness among the local community for the positive participation.
- The program included a number of lectures and workshops such as:
- Workshop under the title of "Sustainable Development" on Sunday, 15/6 under the supervision of the Director General of Environmental Development, where a presentation and a number of educational films were presented on the subject.
Questionnaire entitled "Calculate Your Carbon Footprint" (Ar) was distributed on 12 of the attendants from the young people in order to review their attitudes toward the environment and how they take the necessary decisions, by answering the questionnaire and calculate the total correction points in the questionnaire.
- Lecture entitled "Air Pollution" presented by Dr / Ayman Almazawy.
- Air Pollution Questionnaire (Ar)
- Lecture entitled "Noise Resources" presented by Mr / Wael Omar.
- Noise Questionnaire (Ar)
The two Lecturers presented presentations and pamphlets from the General department for Environmental Development in addition to some educational films.
- A workshop entitled "Renewable Energy and Energy Rationalization in New and Urban Communities” was organized in Cairo House on Wednesday, 05/11/2014 to view what has been achieved in the project of rehabilitation of Sheikh Zayed City as a green and sustainable city with stakeholders, the workshop included a number of lectures such as:
- Improving energy efficiency projects in Egypt (Ar)
(Prof. Ibrahim Yasin - National Director of the project to improve energy efficiency)
- Energy rationalization by using the LED technology and solar power plants in the new cities (Ar)
(Prof. Kamilaa Yusuf Mohamed - an advisory of energy efficiency project)
- Environmental achievements to improve the Third district as a pilot model (Ar)
(chem. Elham refaat - General manger of Environmental Development - EEAA)
- Green Cities and sustainable development (Ar)
(Prof. Dr. Samia Galal - Professor of Environmental Engineering at the Higher Institute of Public Hygiene - University of Alexandria)
The workshop concluded with a discussion session during which a number of recommendations were reported:
- The importance of applying the energy efficiency code in the residential and commercial buildings issued according to ministerial decree in 2005 for residential and 2009 for commercial in all buildings and cities that are established or rehabilitated.
- Widening the use of LED technologies, whether in buildings or street lighting because of its important role in improving energy efficiency in cities.
- Focusing on the role of universities, schools and NGOs in spreading environmental awareness of the importance of using LED lamps to rationalize electricity consumption and reduce mercury pollution.
- Increasing the environmental awareness and training among all residents of the new cities as well as in all governmental agencies and bodies about the importance of energy for sustainable development.
- A seminar on "Health and the environment" attended by 150 primary and preparatory school pupils in Sheikh Zayed City.
- A seminar entitled environmental pollution risks, that was attended by 30 of Azhar Institute students and social specialists and Sportsman in El Sheikh Zayed Youth Centre.
- Environmental awareness, training and capacity building:
The development of residential areas Department participated in the following events:
- The 43 th Annual Conference of the population and development issues - the reality and challenges of demographic center in El Moqattam.
- Workshop on "A strategic vision for re-using treated wastewater in Egypt by 2030".
- In the field of developing slums, with participation of the Advisory Board and stakeholders for cities adaption to climate change risks in cooperation with GTZ.